I started by blowing the dust off the work blog last week. And yesterday it got a new template with an assist from my departing work assistant Charlotte Porter.
I’ve got plans to do more here, too. I changed the template last weekend to the new WordPress default after discovering a problem with the old one. I’m also planning to shake up the content a bit, first by getting rid of the old photo galleries. Some of those may move to my Flickr, others will just live forever in an archive on a hard drive at home.
I also have some cool new content plans that I hope to start executing in the near future (hint: think kayaking). And there may be a new template, too.
I don’t post here often enough. I realized the other day when I was thinking about posting this that I haven’t posted one of these in a year. I hope to be able to start writing here and on the work blog more often.
Without further adieu, the most popular content here for the third quarter of 2008, according to Google Analytics, is:
- MyCokeRewards vs. PepsiStuff – The post I sometimes wish I had never written. It’s number one with a bullet and far outpaces everything else on the site. Readers seem to like to comment on it, too, but I recently turned those off. The truth is, I pretty much stopped drinking the stuff over a month ago in an effort to resolve a health problem (tinnitus). It didn’t relieve the problem, but I don’t feel any worse for not having all that caffeine and aspartame running around my system so I now only very moderately consume diet cola and unsweet tea. I had a thought while preparing myself to write the post that you are reading of trying to dethrone it by writing something like, “Divorce – one man’s strategy.”
- Ichetucknee Springs tubing photos – My first attempt at writing a post with the expressed intent of collecting search engine traffic. It worked. I’m currently number three behind two official pages if you use the post title as the search term.
- Geotagging photos for Flickr with Mac OS X and a Garmin GPS – This makes me happy as it’s the type of writing I would like to do more of around here.
- Micanopy Fall Harvest Festival pics posted – Must be all search engine traffic.
- JBL On Stage II comments – I’m pleased to see another recent techie product-oriented post make this list.
The old photo gallery still gets a bit of traffic here, too. One of these days I may actually finish moving all that stuff to Flickr (some of it’s duplicated), properly handle redirects, and get a nice solution in place for displaying the Flickr stuff here. Some day, maybe.
The most-viewed old photo galleries here in this time frame were:
Tubing, bicycling and butterflies — yeah, that sounds like me.
If you’re interested in what search terms bring traffic here, they would be:
- Pepsi stuff, MyCokeRewards, and related terms.
- Ichetucknee tubing and variations thereof.
- Digital photography presentation – leading here.
- Micanopy Fall Harvest Festival and variations thereof.
According to Google Analytics, the top five most-viewed posts here during September were:
I didn’t post for August because it looked just like July.
It’s been a good couple of weeks that have found me going tubing twice. Will something happen to make it thrice? I don’t know. But here are some more photo sets:
- Tubing with the Byrneses and Kinseys – 31 July 2007 – One of my best tubing trips ever (but is there such a thing as a bad day tubing?) when my out-of-town cousins came to town and we did the whole thing on a Tuesday, one of the slowest days of the week during Summer.
- 2nd Strays Ichetucknee Triathlon – 11 Aug 2007 – The most-crowded day I have ever seen there, probably because it’s one of the last weekends before school starts in most counties around here. I went with a group from my cycling club and we rode and picnicked before tubing. I have never before seen the river so crowded. When we were ready to tube at about 1 p.m., the mid-point shuttle had already closed for the day. And when we exited the river, there was a tremendous queue to wait in for the parking lot shuttle. I think I got some cool people photos.
I guess this post could be titled, “It was the best of times and it was the worst of times,” but as I asked earlier, “is there such a thing as a bad day tubing?”
I once again want to give a shout-out to Aquapac for their awesome waterproof case. It seems that every time I break it out in public lately, someone asks me about it and thinks it’s cool.
Related: Ichetucknee Springs tubing photos.
According to Google Analytics, the top five most-viewed posts here during July were:
The most popular photo albums for July were:
I need to post here more often–if for no other reason than to keep certain undesirable visitors entertained. My excuse for July is that half of it was preoccupied by a vacation, its prep and aftermath. I was pretty active on flickr. I have a post about a photography topic that’s been in draft mode for over a month. I should finish it and also write about how I spent my summer vacation. Maybe this week, or maybe not.
According to SlimStat, the top five most-viewed posts here during June were:
A lot of search-engine-generated traffic came in looking for Ichetucknee Springs tubing photos and pictures of caterpillars and butterflies. The most popular of those destinations are:
I wrote a while back about switching from the FAlbum plugin for displaying my Flickr albums locally. With the new template, some problems with the other one, and some improvements to FAlbum, I decided this evening to switch back to FAlbum. I hope this weekend to tweak things so they better fit in the template. Enjoy!
I’ve been meaning for weeks to switch the template of this site to DePo Clean theme by Derek Powazek. So now I’ve gone and done it. It needed a little more tweaking than I thought it might, but I’m getting figured out. I don’t know yet what I’m going to put in that right column.
According to SlimStat, the top five most-viewed posts here during May were:
I noticed quite a bit of traffic last month in the old photo galleries. Some popular things there are:
I need to find time to (a) finish off a new template I’m working on and (b) get Flickr-to-WordpressÂ plugin going good so I can see if I see more Flickr photo traffic through here.
According to SlimStat, the top five most-viewed posts here during April were:
While not a blog post, but an old photo gallery, my Greathouse Butterfly Farm photos were also very popular. I should post more here. I did better at work last month. Maybe it’s cyclical. Traffic here was a little busier than it has been in the past though.